Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Uglies

It is not good to make society full of beautiful people!- The New York Times



Imagine living in a world were everybody who is born normal is classified as UGLY, the only way to fit into society is to become PRETTY by having an operation. This operation makes your face symetrical, gives you perfect features, beautiful hair, gives you new skin without any scars, and stretches your bones to the perfect size. But once you turn PRETTY you look the same as everyone else around you, you start to act and think the same way.





Tally youngblood is a 15 year old girl who can't wait for her 16th birthday to come, because once you turn 16 you turn pretty, just like everyone else. There are 2 towns in the city, one is Uglyville and one is Prettyville; Uglies and Pretties are not aloud to go into eachothers towns! Tally's friend Shay tries to convince her to run away, not turn Pretty and go to a secret town called The Smoke. Tally stays behind to turn Pretty, left with a note from Shay telling her the directions to get to The Smoke. But when the day comes to turn Pretty the Special Circumstances takes her hostage and forces Tally to bring them to The Smoke so they can destroy it.



If you were faced with a similar situation as Tally where you have to break your promise to your friend just to get what you want what would you do? would you keep your promise and never tell? or be dishonest and give away their secret?

6 comments:

  1. If i had to break my promise to my friend, i would for sure tell her. In my opinion i'm pretty sure eventually my friend would find out and it would just turn into bigger problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never break my promise to my friend,becuase to me that promise is more importan than getting what you want, like for example in your book becoming a "pretty".
    If i really wanted it that bad i would find a different way to get it, but i would never lose a good friend because of it,especially if they would never do that to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last thing I would ever do is break a promise to a friend. I would never betray a friend for anything, especially if it happen to be protecting a place where they felt safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last thing that i would do is break a promise with a friends because for everything that i cant talk to my family about (just about anything and everything), i turn to my friends at hand. Just for the sake of whats at hand, its not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If.I.Were.In.This.Position.I.Would.Not.Break.A.Promise.To.My.Friend.Because.Thats.Not.What.A.True.Friend.Would.Do,.Betraying.A.Friend.For.Your.Own.Benefits.Is.Completely.Wrong.In.My.Opinion,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't break a promise to a friend-especially if it would turn out to hurt her. But...if it came down to it, at the very least I'd tell her about it. Like Jen said, it could turn into bigger problems.

    ReplyDelete